(MON)DAY #6: Walk a mile

Monday 30 March 2015

I loved walking aimlessly when I was travelling in Europe. Sometimes I was taking in the sights on my own, scrolls of words running through my mind as the wordsmith in me conjured up yet another imaginary conversation or tale. Sometimes, I could just be spacing out while I studied the tree, the sky, and the people and wondered what their stories were. When I wasn't taking my solitary walks, exploring a new place or old familiar grounds with a partner-in-crime gave me equal satisfaction.

About two years ago, a friend of mine continued her walking hobby in Singapore. She would alight a couple of bus stops before her destination and walk. Inspired by her, I decided to keep up with walking even in Singapore and to make an effort to discover little gems that we have otherwise turned a blind eye to.

This has slowly become second nature for me. Last Saturday, I had some time before dinner with a friend. Instead of staying another hour in a cafe with no book and a laptop with a flat battery, I chose to take a slow and leisurely walk from Tanjong Katong road to Joo Chiat road. I am an adopted Eastie having studied in schools that are located in the East side of Singapore, so I'm familiar with some of the landmarks in the area, but I have never, never taken a serious look at the environment or the people who dwell in the area. You'll be surprised how much more you see when you start to slow down and walk... I feel free, creative and happy. It is as simple as that.






If you are up for a challenge, and will like to become a 'heavyweight' walker, take a leaf from SG Walking Routes . My friend and I covered a route from the blog before, with quite a bit of adaptation.



Who says Singapore is boring! This is kind of our second walk together. (The first one at Sungei Buloh was a warm-up) We discovered charming hidden gems during our walk from Clementi to Hort Park ー a whole lot of forsaken HDB flats in Clementi, lovely colonial black and white houses along Maidenstone Road, the slightly dilapidated colonial apartment buildings with queer names situated along Woking Road in the quiet and peaceful Wessex Estate, away from the chaos of the city, the waft of jackfruits drifting to our noses as we scaled the stairs in Kent Ridge Park and meeting a fellow walking enthusiast who shared with us his route! Thanks to SG Walking Route blog! I feel like I am backpacking in Singapore! #exploresg #theroomtraveller #weekendishere #woking #dover #hortpark #remembersingapore #heritagetrail #travel #keepwalking
A video posted by Siying Goh (@siying) on

Danish philosopher, Soren Kierkegarrd, said, "Above all, do not lose your desire to walk. Every day I walk myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into a state of well-being and walk away from every illness. I have walked myself into best thoughts, and I know of no thought so burdensome that one cannot walk away from it."

So if you have a chance this week, start small. Take a walk in your neighbourhood instead of driving or taking a bus. If you are feeling more adventurous, venture into a town that you aren't familiar with, and just walk. Make pit-stops at cafes, bars or even your friends' void decks and...surprise them.

"I have walked all the way to see you."  That would have made a wicked line.















0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A little spark of madness © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger