(MON)DAY #4 Our favourite art gallery on social media

Monday 9 March 2015

"The sun is perfect and you woke this morning. You have enough language in your mouth to be understood. You have a name, and someone wants to call it. Five fingers on your hand and someone wants to hold it. If we just start there, every beautiful thing that has and will ever exist is possible. If we start there, everything, for a moment, is right in the world" - Warsan Shire

Source: Berlin-Artparasites


"This speaks to me," I shared a screenshot to my girlfriends as I laid on my bed, ruminating over a Facebook post from Berlin-Artparasites. 

Berlin-Artparasites was the discovery for me in 2014. I got to know about the page because Amanda Lee Koe shared one of its posts on her timeline. Ever since then, I am hooked. 


Source: Berlin-Artparasites

Last week, we introduced The Economist Espresso where you could get your daily dose of current and political affairs. 

Berlin-Artparasites, likewise, is where we think can help you stay in touch and connected with the world through the cacophony of experiences, emotions, joy and struggles depicted on the artworks and words. 

If you think this sounds fluffy and hyperbolic, try reading the posts. Berlin-Artparasites gives a voice to artworks, both known and unknown, by pairing them with quotes and excerpts from literary figures and popular culture influencers. So they are not a bit, I daresay, pretentious or high-brow. 

Curator of Artparasites, Jovanny Varele-Ferreya, remarked, "I'm also motivated by the superficiality/distractions that social media is seemingly pushing us towards; the pointless news articles in the media, the unimportant information so many of us share on this never-ending feed. I wanted to put something refreshing into that feed." 

I read the Facebook and Instagram posts religiously every morning the moment I wake up and before I sleep... And I don't feel guilty about it! I see them as nourishment for my soul and my tired bones especially after a long day of work. I admire the way the curators have matched the artworks with the words with empathy and sensitivity, while still maintaining the integrity of the works as much as they could. Every piece speaks to me or provokes my thoughts; this is art that anyone can comprehend and relate to. 

I may be an advocate of Berlin-Artparasites now, one day...perhaps, I hope I'll have the chance to be a contributor too.  (It's good to have dreams...) Its existence gives hope to budding artists and writers - your little seeds of inspiration and ideas carry no less empathetic power than famous works do on Artparasites.  There should be no boundaries to art; every piece can create a little stirring in one's heart. 

Bookmark them:

























0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

A little spark of madness © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger